Tuesday, September 15, 2026

More is More by Molly Baz

Book cover for "More Is More: Get Loose in the Kitchen" by Molly Baz, featuring large white block typography framing a central photo of a woman in a red outfit holding a plate of onion rings while a dachshund sits beside her in a kitchen.
 
 
Lynnie  2 red hearts

cookbook 

Molly Baz has never met a word she can’t shorten or cutesify.

It’s been a minute since I’ve read through a cookbook, but the library chose Molly Baz’s More is More for their monthly cookbook club and, even though I can’t go, I decided to grab a copy and read it. Let’s start with the reason you read a cookbook: the recipes.

They are ok but overly complicated and, for reasons I can’t explain, heavy on the mortadella (which of course, she calls “morty-d”). OK, there aren’t that many recipes with mortadella, but enough that I noticed. There are more mortadella recipes in this book than in all my other cookbooks combined,  I think. Out of the entire cookbook, though, there are just three recipes I found interesting. Most of her recipes take ingredients that I love and slather them in mayonnaise-heavy sauces. It’s just not my culinary jam.

Worse though, I just hated this book. There are some awful font choices including a font that runs as if it’s going up and down hills and is REALLY hard to read and light fonts on light pages that my eyes also just couldn’t handle.

And, as mentioned, Baz has never met a word she can’t shorten. I never realized before reading this how much I hate it when people refer to sandwiches as “sandos.” Every. Single. Time. Cauliflower is “cauli,” smoothies are “smoo” and yogurt is “yog.” I wish I were kidding. It’s like reading a toddler's dialogue. I guess it’s her schtick, but as I said, it’s not my thing. I found this book to be exhausting and unpleasant to read with little payoff in the end.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment