Friday, September 25, 2026

Crochet Book Reviews - Carla Mitrani and Naomi Vincent

I read a couple crochet books in the last week and thought I would review them together for my fellow crafters. Enjoy! -Lynnie  

The book cover for Crochet Makes From Scrap Cakes by Naomi Vincent. On a charcoal background, the title is in large block letters. Five colorful yarn cakes balance on a wooden stool, while a colorful granny square sweater hangs next to them.
Crochet Makes From Scrap Cakes by Naomi Vincent

Five red hearts, the fifth heart has a smiley face and 2 smaller hearts 

Like every single crocheter I know, I have a yarn problem. I love to get new yarn for projects and I always have leftover extra yarn. Sure, I use it when I can for other projects, but sometimes that's just not possible. But it's beautiful yarn, perfectly useful yarn, and I don't want to get rid of it, so... it sits in a basket waiting for some sort of inspiration to strike.

Well, look no further! I saw Crochet Makes From Scrap Cakes in my library's recommended section and knew I needed to download it. Naomi Vincent has some great ideas about what to do with all the scraps, not the least of which is some great suggestions about how to turn it into useful yarn cakes AND some project patterns you can use those cakes for. Genius!

I have my eyes on some other patterns I was thinking about for some of my scraps, but turning the scraps into cakes was never on my radar, and I think that may make those projects even easier to accomplish. Vincent gives practical tips on managing that scrap pile that has inspired me on what my next project may be. I think this will be a useful read for any yarn crafter out there.
 


Peter Rabbit Crochet Toys: Adorable Amigurumi From the Tales of Beatrix Potter by Carla Mitrani

Book cover for Carla Mitrani's Peter Rabbit Crochet Toys: Adorable Amigurumi From the  Tales of Beatrix Potter. Crocheted rabbits, a duck, squirrel, mouse, cat and frog are displayed against a white background with a blue and pink floral design.
Four red hearts 

I adore Carla Mitrani's (who's online creator name is Amour Fou) crochet patterns and have made many of them in the last couple years, particularly from her Iconic Women and Zodiac series, but also from patterns that I have gotten from her online shop. Her patterns always work up beautifully and have fantastic attention to detail.

When I saw she was releasing a new book, I couldn't wait to read it. Her Peter Rabbit Crochet Toys is a wonderful collection. It's faithful to the characters in the Beatrix Potter stories & Potter's own illustrations while also having Mitrani's signature style. The only reason I'm not giving it five stars is that some of the characters clearly look like they won't be able to support themselves without additional support through a stand, or other assistance - the legs are very thin in comparison to the body. That's fine if you want the character to sit on a shelf, but if you want it to stand, you'll need to think about it.

Still, I'm eager to make a few of these designs, and appreciate Mitrani's attention to detail, as always.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment