Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Ideal Life by Evelyn Skye

The book cover for Evelyn Skye's Ideal Life. It features the title in large block letters with a line separating "Ideal" and "Life." Behind the words is a large hourglass, the top chamber shows a figure standing on a beach at sunrise, while the bottom chamber shows an upside-down figure in an upside-down night cityscape.

 

 

Lynnie 2.5 red hearts 

contemporary fantasy, magical realism 

In Evelyn Skye's Ideal Life, Talia Morgan is an idealistic tech whiz, about to sell her startup company which creates wearable tech featuring a personal assistant that helps individuals analyze and adjust their habits and decisions to be their best selves. After discovering a bug in the software, Talia wakes up with a mysterious watch on her wrist and discovers that she can rewind time. After going back in time to fix the bug, Talia begins to reverse time to experiment with making other corrections to her life. As you can imagine, things don't go as well as she would like and, as every movie and book have ever warned, the fallout of these timeline changes are unpredictable for Talia, her company and everyone else in her life.

I loved Skye's previous novel, The Incredible Kindness of Paper, so my hopes were high for Ideal Life. Unfortunately, while I liked this story, I also found it frustrating. The idea of it was really intriguing, but I found much of the story repetitive and predictable, and never really connected with any of the characters. Some aspects of the book were never properly explained, and others were over-explained to the point that I found myself skipping paragraphs just to get through.

There are multiple points of view in this book and I found myself wondering if that was necessary. Did Erin the intern's viewpoint add anything to the narrative? Honestly, not really. However, I did love the connection of this book to Chloe and Oliver from The Incredible Kindness of Paper - that section made me smile more than anything else in this novel, which might say more about this book than anything.

I do think the overall message of this novel is an important one, living in the moment and not allowing technology to control us. But I fear that it gets lost in some of the meandering plot points.

Ideal Life will publish on August 18, 2026. Thank you to Atria Books, NetGalley and Evelyn Skye for the advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment