Monday, July 20, 2026

Yes, Chef by Grace Reilly

Illustrated book cover for "Yes, Chef" by Grace Reilly. On a bright pink background, a blonde woman in a teal dress sits on top of the large yellow title text looking at her phone, while a tattooed male chef in a light pink shirt leans against the lettering, holding a wooden spoon. The cover is scattered with food and kitchen items including a pineapple, cherries, an eggplant, a rolling pin, a knife and tropical flowers.
Lynnie 3.5 red hearts


contemporary romance

I love to read about food, so I was happy to get an advance copy of Grace Reilly’s
Yes, Chef - a romance between Jack, a high-skilled but troubled chef, and Poppy, an influencer who can’t seem to get out of her own way. Jack and Poppy are both trying to outrun mistakes and bad decisions, and after an evening of commiserating, Poppy follows Jack to Florida where he has inherited a restaurant and a houseboat from his former foster father and mentor. Jack and Poppy believe that if they can bring the restaurant back to life and turn it into the fine dining destination they know it can be, they can win their way back into the NYC dining scene they've run away from.

I liked Poppy and Jack most of the time, though I thought that Reilly spent way too much time having Jack be absolutely rude to Poppy, and frankly Poppy spent way too much time putting up with it. For two people who clearly liked one another, I found that often what was supposed to be banter felt a lot like elementary school kids throwing rocks at each other on the playground. Fortunately, they got over that sooner rather than later. When Jack and Poppy were talking about the restaurant or food or actually cooking, this book was at its best. They were cute and fun and the dishes often made me want to reach for a snack because they were described so well. I absolutely loved the way they encouraged and believed in each other.

I also really enjoyed the cast of side characters in this novel. The found family in Florida was incredibly sweet and almost unnaturally patient. More than once I found myself thinking that Jack better recognize how lucky he is before it’s too late! Poppy’s family was an excellent plot device, and we intentionally didn’t get a chance to know or like them very well for much of the book.

Rarely though, have I read a romance and thought, “this book would be improved with less sex,” but it’s happened before and this is one of those books. What works for one doesn’t work for all and I just didn’t find Jack and Poppy’s sexy time very enjoyable. Unfortunately, it was kind of cringy for me. But others of you will love it, so to each their own.

Still, it’s a fun read if you like romance in a restaurant setting. Reilly did an excellent job of representing how an adult with ADHD feels as they navigate the challenges of work and general life tasks and it’s good to see that represented on a page.

Yes, Chef will be published on July 21, 2026. Thank you to Avon Books, NetGalley and Grace Reilly for the advance reader copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment